Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Surgery!!!!

We had a clinic visit. No part of it was fun. I knew when I woke that it wasn't going to be a fun one.
The day started out as a normal work day but it seemed as though everyone had an emergency and needed my assistance. At noon I told my boss I have to go and just call me if he needed anything or if a crisis breaks loose. We are undergoing a lot of management restructuring. If you don't know, I am the Assistant Director of Human Resources aka babysitter. LOL... I always tell my boss he lied to me in my interview.
I was running late. The parking lot was like 98% full. Some guy saw me and told me where he was parked and said he would wait for me so I could get his spot. He must of been an angel! In the parking spot while I was getting Bryce in the stroller and getting the diaper bag, medical info backpack, and my purse, I realized I forgot to do a major project at work that was due 3 today. It is now 1:30 and nobody else knows how to do it. GREAT!!!!
I been working like crazy showing my boss that my job will not be affected by my crazy home life now. Now this is the first time I dropped the ball and I mean BIG BALL. I called my boss and president of the company to inform them about my crisis. They both starting laughing and said "Jen, you turned it in last Thursday." Oh, I don't know what day it is anymore at work. I have notes everywhere in my office to try to keep me out of trouble.
So we get inside the clinic and talk to Claudia, the receptionist. We know each other well since I see her weekly. After I signed my name a million time, we finally sat down. A family walked in with a boy. He looks like a healthy 10 or 11. I see him but the infamous mask on that all CF patients have to where while in the waiting room.
They finally get settled in and I asked "Ya'll from San Antonio." They reply "No." Then I just dropped the conversation.
About 5 minutes past and the mom asked "Are you here to see Dr. Courand?"
"Yes"
She came and gave me a hug and started talking to me. Come to find out, she lost a daughter at the age of 13 due to complications to CF. She would of been 18 this year. Her son was 10 and has never had complications with CF. He had never been hospitalized. He just has sinusitis. (The boy I was talking about earlier about looking very athletic.)
I think she realized after she told me about her daughter, I didn't hear a thing about her son. I know she didn't say it to scare me, but to inform me about her experience.
They finally call us back. The usual routine occurred. I saw the PA today because it was just a follow up from last week. She asked me about how is reflux was doing. I informed her that he was not vomiting anymore but that he was still having wet sounding burbs and coughs. The minute I said that he starts coughing. She opens the door and gets Dr. Courand. She walks in and said " We must fix this. The medicine (Reglan, Zantac, and Prevacid) is not doing it."
She sent Lisa (the PA) to the GI wing to find the Pediatric GI Surgeon because they were not answering the phone. The specific Dr they were looking for was in surgery. Finally Lisa found one of his partners and they agreed that Bryce is going to need surgery.
Fundocplication is the type of surgery he will be having. During the surgery, the upper part of the stomach is gathered, wrapped and sutured around the lower part of the esophagus. This allows the lower part of the esophagus to pass through a small tunnel made from the stomach muscle. This will help prevent acid reflux, and strengthen the valve between the esophagus and stomach, which stops acid from backing up into the esophagus as easily. (http://heartburn.about.com/od/medicalprocedures/a/fundoplication.htm)
Supposedly this is a common surgery that happens. They (CF clinic) informed that the only real complication that they have experienced with the surgery was a girl had to get a g tube because her muscles were to stressed after the surgery :(
Hopefully, everything will go smooth and Bryce will not have to get one.
I will let everyone know when the surgery is schedule. The surgeon will be calling me in the morning to give me more information. They are aiming for Friday of this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment